Anything specific you after?

Thursday 26 April 2018

Dice Tray

For a while I've fancied getting a dice tray. My kids (two boys 2 and 4) love to watch my wargaming and are desperate to 'help' throw the dice.  Except they throw dice with a lot of gusto! So random models and  pieces of scenery get hit or the dice end up under the table. Now I don't wanna put them off playing by saying no all the time so I thought a dice tray would help out.
Now I've seen some on eBay for around £12 but I've also seen on the net that it's cheaper to make your own. While we were at the Range I scoped out what i would need.
1. A tray of some kind. General consensus in internet is a photo frame.
2. Some thing to deaden the roll of the dice. Internet said cork.
3. Something to line the tray to make it look nice. Clothe etc


I gathered a photo frame, couldn't find cork so bought some kids craft foam paper type stuff and some felt to line it.  Total spend a little over £4.
First off take the back off the photo frame and take out the display picture and glass.  Oh and important point! Choose a frame where you can take the glass out!! I didn't so I had to smash it so all the bits fell out. 
Then I took the backing off the photo frame and glued two sheets of craft foam to it to absorb the dice impacts.


Foam was cut to fit the backing of the photo frame

Next I took the felt and wrapped it around the backing and pushed it into place and secured it using the photo frames tabs (For the more talented people I'm sure you could attach the Felt on on the inside of the photo frame with out taking the back off).


Once the felt was wrapped around the backing and secured I trimmed the rest off

And that's it! All completed


All done



2 comments: