Anything specific you after?

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Post Apocalypse Video Games

As well as miniatures and board games my other big love is video games. Now in keeping with my favourite genres post apocalyptic and a sci fi my favourite games are  usually from these genres. The greatest series of post apocalytic games in my opinion is the Fallout games. The latest in the series being Fallout 4 which I'm about half way through. Out of the others (fallout, fallout 2, fallout tactics, fallout 3 and fallout New Vegas) my favourite is probably Fallout 3.
Fallout is set in a 1950s inspired universe lots of 50s sci fi pulp.  It's vastly detailed world with its own alternative history timeline after world war 2(I've not done a great job of explaining it but trust me it's vastly detailed check here for the Fallout Wiki ). Fallout is set after the great nuclear war that ravaged the planet. There are surviors and people that paid to go into 'Vaults' before the bombs hit.
Fallout 3 is set in a more shattered wasteland with a few factions fighting and surviving. As well as the main story there are plenty of other things to see and do.  Fallout New Vegas as the name suggests is set in the law Vegas area which according to the lore was less hot with nuclear weapons so there is a bit more civilisation left and new countries formed.
Fallout 4 is set in the Boston area and is unusual in that at the start you play before the bombs fall. There's so much to do in this game including building your own settlements and setting up trading caravans. Can't say too much about this game as I've not finished it yet.
Another great game is the Last of Us. It terms of game play it's quite linear but it's story is epic. Set in a world where a fungus  (an actual real life one which is the base for the story) has started to infect humans turning them into zombie type monsters (There are a couple of different types). The story is about a smuggler in the surviving zones is paid to get a girl who is inmune to the fungus across the country to a group who say they can cure everyone with the girls help. The gameplay is quite stealth related but the combat is good be it against zombies or humans. The main thing about the game is the story and the design of a post apocalyptic America.
Also in my collection I have Wasteland 2, I believe this started as a kick starter and is in the style of the old fallout games and quite possibly is the hardest game I've ever played so much so it's currently on a game break (it's staying in the cupboard until I'm brave enough to try again lol).
Zombie apocalyspe games are also good. There was a game on Xbox called state of decay where you rescued survivors and build up your defnces and said for food, weapons etc. Dead island is also a good game, first person zombie fighting☺. I also have dying light to play as well. Zombie apocalyspe games can't be talked about without mentioning Dead Rising. The first one I feel was the best, the 2nd played more on the parts of crafting weapons and killing as many zombies as possible (though this is itself incredibly fun). The first one allowed you access to all manner of different ways to kill zombies.  Sometimes I'd forget about the story and carry on killing zombies (The shower head is exceptionally gory ). My only downer on the game was that you only get a certain amount of time to do a mission after that it is no longer available.
Have a great day ☺

4 comments:

  1. I rarely get to game these days. I have enjoyed video walk throughs of the Last of Us such a cinematic game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am playing Mad Max at the minute. It can be a bit samey but if you like MM and smashing cars up it will be right up your street. Lots of game play and a huge map set in a dried up sea.

    Metro 2033 and last light are also good games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about metro 2033!!! I've even read the book as well!
      I shall look out for mad max ☺

      Delete
  3. Simon,yeah takes me ages I've had fallout 4 since November and not even half way through! Few years back I would have demolished it in a couple of months lol

    ReplyDelete